The Seperation

What a turn of events. After such an honorable event and title, this? I am in complete and total shock.

Ever since Animal Farm was started, I knew certain needs would need to be met. If we were to be better off then the Jones', and follow The Seven Commandments as they were intended, we needed to take a new approach. The Battle of the Cowshed gave me a renewed vigor to put a plan together that would bring luxury and comfort that we animals had never experienced under the tyranny of humans. Of course Napoleon immediately disagreed with me. I pulled him aside countless times to work out our differences! "If not for the comrades, then at least for the well-being of us pigs!" I would say. Napoleon would always retort with "I have a better way." but he would never share what that was! How was anything to be done if all he did was keep his mouth shut?
So, I went on with my plans. Electricity, I decided, was the natural next step towards total comfort. I admit, I was a little wild with the promises I made. Electricity in every stall for every animal may not have ever have been feasible (call me Squealer if you must) but nonetheless it was clear that electricity of any kind would be a step in the right direction. I did much studying on methods of producing electricity using the rudimentary tools the wicked humans had left us.
Because Animal Farm had no moving body of water available, a windmill seemed like the only other option. Although the specifics looked rather difficult, the physical layout of the windmill seemed easy enough. The specifics could always be deciphered later. Nothing would get done without a building to do it in, after all.
So, I began reading and studying architecture books. How large would the windmill need to be? What dimensions? I decided to use the former incubator shed as my study. The floor proved perfect for chalk-drawing. Here I wrote my plans for the windmill.
My idea sold easily enough to the animals. Napoleon, however, remained a problem. He would always listen to my words with a kind of rebellious disinterest. Undoubtedly, if I got the other comrades on my side Napoleon would have to change his attitude!

The first sign that showed me Napoleon had no intention of doing this, regardless of the others, came with a totally disrespectful act of the worst kind. One day, while I was working, Napoleon walked in (I left my study door open in case other comrades wanted to peak in and see how the project was advancing) and carefully began looking the plans over. I continued my work, keeping him just in my peripheral vision. He paused once or twice to sniff the plans, then he stood there as if contemplating their significance. By now I knew that he was amazed at how much thought I had actually put into this project. Just when I expected him to congratulate me, however, he did the most horrendous thing. Napoleon lifted his leg, eyed me, then urinated all over my plans! After he finished his business, he simply walked out without a word.
My draw just about dropped. The nerve! This nearly pushed me over the edge.

The real trouble, however, came a few weeks later.
My plans for the windmill were completed, and I was ready to present the finished project details to all of the comrades at the Meeting. Although the farm had been heavily divided on this subject of the windmill, I knew that any argument between Napoleon and I would be in my favor due to my superior rhetoric skills.

So, the Meeting began, and I presented my finished windmill project ideas. Although I was interrupted by an occasional "Four legs good! Two legs bad!" (a saying that all the sheep had picked up as their motto) my presentation went rather well. Next, Napoleon stood up to voice his opposition. To my astonishment, his argument was void of any reasoning or logic. He merely advised the others that it was a foolish idea and that they should not vote on it. I was slightly confused, as I knew this was not a normal action for Napoleon. His lack of courage, however, gave me a momentary inspiration. Using this inspiration as a catalyst, I stood up and began a speech of the most passionate kind.
I spoke of Animal Farm, not how it was, but how it could be. My speech closely resembled that of the Major, and I knew, just from looking into the eyes of my comrades, that the windmill would be well on its way soon enough. I spoke of how electricity would impact the lives of every comrade present in such a way that they could be comfortable and truly be free. My eloquence carried the day, and I knew that the vote would be in my favor.

And then, everything changed.

As I took my seat to wait for the vote to be called, I saw Napoleon stand up. He gave me an odd glance from the corner of his eyes, then let out the most terrible whimpering sound I have ever heard. All of a sudden the ground shook, and a loud baying noise could be heard coming from outside. Then, all of a sudden, nine huge dogs burst into the Meeting room growling and barking! They wore brass-studded collars and I immediately could tell they had been bred for one purpose: to be vicious.
As soon as they entered and saw me, they lunged straight towards me. Luckily my superior reflexes paid off, and I was scampering on all fours straight into the open air. I bolted for the long pasture, and finally could see the road up ahead. Then, all of a sudden, a rock appeared that I hadn't seen before, and I tripped! Not the time for clumsiness! I peered behind me almost a second too late for I was met by the sight of a huge dog's mouth! Up again, I pushed as much speed as I could out of my legs. I could feel the hot breath of the dogs behind me, and I could smell their dripping saliva as they grew hungry for a nice bacon dinner. Not today! One dog made a lunge for my tail, but I pushed every ounce of speed I had, and finally could see my salvation ahead. With only a few inches to spare, I was through a hole in the hedge.

How did this happen? Wasn't I just awarded Animal Hero, First Class? And now, betrayal? Surely my other comrades won't stand for this! Surely at least Squealer will come for me, if not Minimus!
I now see that Napoleon had been planning this power shift for some time. Forcing me, ever so slightly, into the outside so that when the time was right he could lock the door.

So, here I lay, lost somewhere outside of Manor Farm between it and Foxwood. I've found a dry spot on the ground underneath some trees, and I plan to sleep here for a couple nights while I pull my thoughts together.

I fear Animal Farm is in for its darkest days.

Snowball

No comments:

Post a Comment