An Unexpected Angel

Today something happened that I could have never thought up.
I've been at my wit's end for the last several days. Fully expecting to die lonely, I had given up hope. I began to see no difference between sleeping and staying awake, and the days and nights all ran together.

My only memory before consciously waking was of a ribbon-clad body bending down to examine me. The next thing I knew, I was waking up in a barn. Looking around I thought, just for a moment, that I was back at Animal Farm. Realizing, however, that by this time work would have started at Animal Farm, I relaxed.
"Finally awake, are you?" said a voice from above. I looked up.
"Molly?"
"One in the same." Molly replied.
"Where have you been?" I asked.
"The nice man who runs this farm, by the name of Farmer Ben, told me that if I wanted to escape Animal Farm once and for all and live where I could get sugar cubes whenever I wanted, that I could come with him. So, I did!"
My first thought was traitor but then I stopped. She had saved my life.
"Well, what farm is this then Molly?" I asked.
"That's just it, Snowball!" Molly replied, enthusiastically, "It's 'Ben & Son's Dairy Co.'! It's a dairy farm!"
This stopped me dead in my thought process. A dairy farm?
"Farmer Ben has been keeping me here out of generosity until Jones can get a new farm of his own, or forever. Whichever comes first." here, she winked.

We proceeded to talk about the events that had unfolded since Molly had disappeared. I knew that she had secretly wandered off to a new farm as soon as she had gone missing. I told her everything that had happened at Animal Farm since she had left. She didn't pay close attention, but she was interested to hear the parts about the windmill.
"So every stall could have hot water and lights?" she asked.
"Well, that was the plan. But now it will never happen since Napoleon is in charge." I replied.
"That's too bad." she said, clearly let down.

So, this has been my new life for the last several days. I've found out that Ben & Son's is 10 miles South of Animal Farm and that Molly had discovered me while pulling Farmer Ben into town on a Saturday morning. Molly was still severely human-minded. I think she would probably die without some kind of master.
But, in all truth, Farmer Ben is a decent fellow. I never thought I would find a human I would like, especially after hearing Major's words. Ben has something different about him- I kind of compassion. Perhaps it's just him; just one man. Either way, I know I will be safe here as long as I stay.

However long that may be.

Snowball

No comments:

Post a Comment